Was running late for a pot luck over the weekend at Wenny’s and decided to whip up something quick (and Asian). Googled for “Taiwanese Recipes” and this came up. I followed it exactly except for the bamboo shoots (never did like them much) and it turned out pretty decent. Instead of having noodles as the carbs, I decided that having chinese steam buns as the replacement would be an interesting twist to this classic Taiwanese dish. The ‘pang cai’ added a refreshing crunch to it too and provided some balance to the savoury minced pork. The black vinegar and 5-spice powder came well together and contributed to its distinctive taste – definitely 2 key ingredients in the concoction.
Crazy easy to do. A simple dish within half an hour (prep work + cooking time). No excuses this time, try it!
- 8 chinese steam buns
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (i used the leftover water used to rehydrate the dried shitake mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (or oyster sauce)
- 2 teaspoon light (regular) soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese black vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- One 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained and diced (im personally not a fan of this. the dish did fine without it)
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
1. In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce, vinegar, five spice powder and brown sugar. Set aside.
2. Heat a wok over medium-high heat. When hot, swirl in the cooking oil. Add in the onion and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the ground meat and cook for 2 minutes. Push aside the onion and ground meat to one side of the wok to create a small spot to fry the garlic.
3. Add in the garlic and stir fry for a few seconds or until you begin smelling the garlic. Add in the bamboo shoots and mushrooms. Toss everything in the wok together.
4. Pour in the broth/soy sauce mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the green onions.
5. Serve the ground meat mixture wrapped with lettuce/pang cai within steamed chinese buns