A few days ago, I was browsing through Smitten Kitchen in a bid to gather some inspiration for the little impromptu dinner I was gonna host for the Taipei boot camp ladies. After a few minutes of wiping drool away from the keyboard, I came across this really great salad toss-up recipe involving eggs, onions, mushrooms, baby spinach and bacon. Since it involved my favourite combination of salad ingredients -I was sold.
To be honest, I didn’t really follow the recipe closely: the spinach vs. onions/mushrooms ratio was a little out of whack(meaning, it tasted more like a mushroom salad than a spinach one). And, instead of red wine vinegar, I used Sherry vinegar which is an okay substitute for its red wine counterpart.
Best part of the salad? The crunchy fresh bacon bits of course.
Recipe from: Smitten Kitchen (23 Nov 2012 post)
Serving Size: 4 as an appetizer or 2 spinach salad enthusiasts
4 ounces baby spinach
2 large white mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 small or medium red onion, very thinly sliced
1 large egg, hard-boiled (see above), chilled, peeled and thinly sliced
4 pieces thick-sliced bacon (about 4 ounces), finely diced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon honey or sugar
1/2 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place spinach in a large, wide salad serving bowl.
- Scatter with mushrooms, red onion (see above for a different, mellower way to add the onions) and coins of hard-boiled egg.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon bits over medium-high heat until they’re brown and crisp and have rendered their fat.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop them out of the skillet and spread them on a piece of paper towel briefly before sprinkling them over the salad.
- Pour out all but two tablespoons of hot bacon fat from the skillet.
- Reheat over medium and quickly whisk in the red wine vinegar, honey and Dijon.
- Pour over entire salad and season salt and pepper.
- Toss gently and serve hot. Repeat tomorrow night.
p.s be careful not to whiff in the dressing immediately after heating. it knocks you out!